Position Title: Senior Manager, Planning & Inventory Management
Department: Planning & Inventory Management
Reports to: Director, Planning and Inventory Management
Acquired by private equity firm Blue Point Capital in October 2012, Smith-Cooper International (“Smith-Cooper” or the “Company”) is a leading value-added designer, producer, and distributor of pipe, valves, and fittings (“PVF”) principally used in industrial, commercial, and oil/gas end markets. The Company has 4 branches, 260 employees, and nearly $200M in revenue. Its strong historical growth and high margins clearly differentiate it from its competition.
Smith-Cooper’s management team stands out among middle market companies, possessing a unique combination of degrees from top universities and highly complementary, distinct professional experiences. This team's backgrounds include: (i) long tenure with the Company; (ii) extensive experience working at private equity-owned portfolio companies, (iii) deep experience at world-leading manufacturing, distribution, and consulting organizations, such as Ford Motor Company, Grainger, and Bain & Company, and (iv) strong educational pedigrees from universities such as Stanford, Dartmouth, Yale, and Northwestern. This management team is building the foundation which will enable Smith-Cooper to continue its impressive growth trajectory.
Interested candidates should embrace this role as an opportunity to build a mission-critical team from the ground up. As Smith-Cooper strengthens its operational foundation to continue its strong growth trajectory for the next 5-10 years, high service levels combined with efficient use of working capital are critical to our success. The Management Team has identified the need to develop a demand and supply planning center-of-excellence under the overall inventory management umbrella. This Planning & Inventory Management role provides (a) critical leadership to design, build, and run a fully integrated Sales, Inventory, and Operations Planning (SIOP) function and (b) a springboard to overall inventory management and supply chain leadership roles within the Company. As Smith-Cooper’s Senior Manager, Planning & Inventory Management, you will have immediate impact. You will work across the entire business to deliver unparalleled service levels with the most efficient use of financial and operational resources.
This role will involve a mix of strategy, analytics, and both direct and cross-functional leadership. You will own the design, development, and execution of a SIOP function that enables the Company to effectively respond to demand and supply variability. This function includes: (i) demand and operational planning with Sales, Sourcing, Finance, and Warehouse Operations leaders, (ii) forecast development, adjustment, and evaluation, (iii) network stocking level, location, and replenishment optimization, and (iv) management of key performance metrics. To deliver on these objectives, you will work closely with cross-functional teams from all parts of the business. Effective execution will require not only strong leadership ability but also (a) deep supply chain knowledge and experience, (b) excellent relationship building and influencing skills, (c) very strong analytical skills, (d) and high attention to detail.
The Company’s Management Team has high performance standards, and as the Senior Manager, Planning & Inventory Management, you will be expected to work aggressively and thoughtfully to achieve challenging goals. Accordingly, preferred candidates will have demonstrated top-quartile performance in prior roles and will have graduated with outstanding academic performance. In addition, you will need to tolerate ambiguity and demonstrate problem-solving leadership with limited oversight. Furthermore, since the Senior Management, Planning & Inventory Management will interact frequently with leaders across the organization, you will need to exhibit professionalism, emotional maturity, and an ability to communicate effectively.
• Design, build, and lead a new SIOP function to achieve the following objectives
1) Reduce demand and supply uncertainty by integrating the following key inputs:
a) regular and timely customer demand information from Sales as well as other pertinent information sources including: broad market drivers, specific customer demand patterns, future promotions, and seasonality
b) vendor performance information including: lead time, production scheduling, performance issues, and potential disruptions
c) warehouse operations information including: space constraints, resource availability, and capabilities
2) Improve forecast accuracy by identifying and developing remedies for common root causes
3) Efficiently utilize inventory dollars and warehouse capacity to maintain high service levels and optimize inventory turns
4) Gain alignment on and ensure accurate and disciplined execution of SIOP across forecasting, sourcing, purchasing, and warehouse processing
• Build and lead a high-performing team of planners and analysts to support the above objectives
• Develop and maintain strong, collaborative relationships across the Inventory, Sales, Operations, and Finance departments. Instill a collaborative, planning culture across the organization.
• Monitor performance via key metrics, analyze discrepancies, and develop and execute remedial action plans for fill rates, service levels, inventory turns, inventory dollar investment, and excess inventory. Develop a working dashboard and identify additional key metrics as necessary.
• Contribute to network design decision-making concerning item rationalization, stocking policies, and transfer vs. buy-direct strategies.
• Undergraduate degree from a highly-respected college or university, supply chain concentration preferred, MBA preferred.
• Minimum of 5 - 7 years demand planning and inventory management experience required
• Full understanding of the SIOP process, steps, outputs, and benefits with demonstrated experience building a collaborative and comprehensive SIOP process
• Strong oral, active listening, and written communication skills, including exceptional facilitation skills
• Proven excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
• Demonstrated experience working with cross-functional teams with a record of (i) achieving ambitious results and (ii) building alignment across organization to drive closure on issues
• Proven ability to gain acceptance and exert positive influence on others at all levels of the organization.
• Extensive experience with project management while working within established priorities, constraints, and tight deadlines
• Ability to lead, coach, and develop staff to improve performance and achieve professional goals.
• Extensive experience working with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, experience in Tableau and SQL-based query software is preferred
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills and high attention to detail
• High personal accountability for self and others
• Unquestionable integrity, honesty, authenticity, and discretion
• High emotional intelligence (i.e., EQ) and self-awareness
• Desire to learn new things and receive/deliver feedback for continuous personal and professional improvement
This job may require up to 5-10% travel within the United States of America.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee fulfilling this role. Activities, duties, and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.