Home Chef (www.homechef.com) is a meal kit e-commerce and delivery start-up founded in 2013 by Pat Vihtelic, formerly with William Blair. Pat launched Home Chef, because he found it hard to make time to prepare home cooked dinners after work. He discovered that online grocery services only solved part of the problem — he still had to think about what was for dinner, and didn’t have time to comb the internet for recipes. More often than not, he was overwhelmed by the prospect of meal planning, and resorted to takeout.
Home Chef’s mission is to provide our customers with a delightful home cooking experience. We believe that people continue to love Home Chef for the same reasons it was founded: Home Chef saves time, reduces food waste, and most importantly, brings people together around the dinner table.
At Home Chef, we believe that team members who are personally invested in their work deliver the best possible customer experience – our customers can tell that we love what we do. That’s why we empower our crew to take ownership of their disciplines. We collectively believe in our product, and we care greatly about how we, as individuals, can contribute to company growth. We hire the best of the best, we work hard, we have fun, and we’re inspired by our community of home chefs every day.
• Successfully attracted strong investment from a renown Private Equity Firm and private investors alike
• 700+ employees across production, marketing, technology, product, design, and customer service, and quickly growing
• Delivered over 1 million meals by 2015, growing 25x that year alone, and delivering over 10 million meals in 2016
• Covers 97% of the continental US, with plants in San Bernardino, CA, Lithonia, GA and Chicago, IL
• Passion-led, fast-growing organization with a mix of talent from ex-McKinsey/Bain/BCG, other consultancies and experienced industry professionals
Home Chef is looking for an Operations Technology Product Manager, who will report into the Operations Excellence Director. The right candidate will be passionate about finding creative technological solutions that will drive meaningful improvement in how we operate across operations, from procurement to fulfillment. This role will be based in Chicago, IL, with moderate travel to our facilities in Lithonia, GA and San Bernardino, CA to roll-out and trouble-shoot technological solutions at our fulfillment centers.
• Stay ahead of competitor and industry trends in operational technology landscape
• Become an operations expert in the needs of operations across the business and the day-to-day operations practices
• Pro-actively identify technology solutions that would improve operational efficiency and effectiveness
• Partner with the operations team at corporate and facilities (e.g. procurement, reporting, production, quality, facilities management) day-to-day to surface opportunities to improve operations through tech-based solutions
• Gather, dimensionalize, and prioritize operational requests related to technology (systems, built tools, software, solutions)
• Build make vs. buy business cases for key operational technologies that enable future growth (MRP, WMS, etc.), and communicate fact-based recommendations to organization to drive decisions
• Create detailed master project management plan to drive projects from inception to implementation, in collaboration with operations and technology teams
• Collaborate with tech team to drive major operations technology implementations (e.g., ERP, MRP, WMS), manage to on-time execution and ensure solutions meet operational requirements
• Deliver against master projects management plan with tech team leads, and be accountable (and hold full tech team accountable) to deliver projects to full impact and on-time execution
• Provide thought leadership to identify solutions required, co-develop approach with tech team and problem-solve tech solutions to work around challenges to adhere to tight timelines
• Create new processes to better collect, store, and utilize operational data in coordination with the Ops Analytics team
• Own all aspects of tech solutions implementation through operations, from corporate procurement to the frontline production associates
• Excellent analytics and critical thinking, with strong attention to detail
• Fluid communicator and influencer, helping to drive tight cross-functional collaboration
• Results-oriented mindset; able to multi-task and get things done in a fast-paced environment
• High aptitude for thinking “outside-the-box” when identifying and recommending improvements
• Exceptional ability to coach organization to implement long-term solutions that “stick” in both manufacturing and corporate environments
• Experience and expertise in an agile, lean approach to ways of working in a technology team
• Outstanding project management skills and proven track record of ownership and independence
• Excellent verbal and written communicator, with experience in giving structured and insight-led presentations to C-suite executives and hourly employees alike with all levels of technological expertise
• Strong interest in the food, e-Commerce, and start-up space
• Travel will be required as part of this position
• Attractive compensation package includes pre-IPO equity incentive.