Home Chef (www.homechef.com) is a meal kit e-commerce and delivery start-up founded in 2013 by Pat Vihtelic, formerly with William Blair. Pat launched Home Chef, because he found it hard to make time to prepare home cooked dinners after work. He discovered that online grocery services only solved part of the problem — he still had to think about what was for dinner, and didn’t have time to comb the internet for recipes. More often than not, he was overwhelmed by the prospect of meal planning, and resorted to takeout.
Home Chef’s mission is to provide our customers with a delightful home cooking experience. We believe that people continue to love Home Chef for the same reasons it was founded: Home Chef saves time, reduces food waste, and most importantly, brings people together around the dinner table.
At Home Chef, we believe that team members who are personally invested in their work deliver the best possible customer experience – our customers can tell that we love what we do. That’s why we empower our crew to take ownership of their disciplines. We collectively believe in our product, and we care greatly about how we, as individuals, can contribute to company growth. We hire the best of the best, we work hard, we have fun, and we’re inspired by our community of home chefs every day.
• Successfully attracted strong investment from a renown Private Equity Firm and private investors alike
• 700+ employees across production, marketing, technology, product, design, and customer service, and quickly growing
• Delivered over 1 million meals by 2015, growing 25x that year alone, and delivering over 10 million meals in 2016
• Covers 97% of the continental US, with plants in San Bernardino, CA, Lithonia, GA and Chicago, IL
• Passion-led, fast-growing organization with a mix of talent from ex-McKinsey/Bain/BCG, other consultancies and experienced industry professionals
We are looking for a Special Projects Manager within operations who will drive change across the operations organization on high-impact, high-priority engagements, reporting into the Vice President of Special Projects. The right person will have extremely strong drive and ownership, being able to partner with employees at all levels of the organization from hourly production associate to the C-suite. A person in this position will get hands on experience and learning in different areas of operations and will be able to grow rapidly. We are an organization committed to supporting rapid professional development, and high-performers in this role would have the opportunity to take on a P&L operational role within 12-18 months.
Essential Job Functions:
• Identify and dimensionalize opportunities to improve operations efficiency and effectiveness across every aspect of Home Chef operations (e.g., procurement, production, logistics, network strategy, plant management, organizational benchmarking and finance)
• Structure and define high-level direction into tactical plans to drive impact and value creation (e.g., redesigning how we forecast demand for procurement, determining how to improve throughput in production lines, developing actionable scorecards to drive accountability, optimize distribution network and shipping modes)
• Set up and run Program Management Office for large projects like setting up new facilities or distribution channels
• Build in Excel, impact and financial models to size impact against work streams, working comfortably with large data sets and top-down assumptions
• Create internal and customer analytics (e.g., surveys) to understand current performance and benchmark against competitors
• Build tactical tools for the operations team to use in a variety of contexts (e.g., ordering models, labor scheduling, scorecarding, production tracking)
• Create presentations to communicate projects to C-suite and training materials to roll-out new initiatives throughout the organization
• Adapt quickly and fluidly to rapidly changing projects and under dynamic conditions (e.g., piloting multiple solutions in a test-and-fail approach)
• Be solutions-oriented in challenging contexts with multiple stakeholders
• Be able to influence business owners and plant employees to adopt new solutions and processes
• Build content mastery and deep knowledge across all areas of operations, from procurement to production
Minimum Position/ Education Qualifications:
• Excellent problem-solving skills to structure, prioritize and dimensionalize issues within given projects (2+ years’ experience at a top tier consulting firm or in a strategy or operations role)
• Exceptional Excel analytics and an innate feel for numbers to determine how to prioritize work streams based on value creation and create necessary tools and tracking mechanisms to measure success and impact
• Able to envision tactical solutions that will work in hands-on operational environments with ease
• Strong commitment to implementing solutions in operations that will create long-term value across the full business
• Excellent verbal and written communicator, with experience in giving structured and insight-led presentations to C-suite executives and hourly employees alike
• High aptitude for tightly organized planning and process management, and strong attention to detail
• Extremely independent and able to work to effectively without strong oversight
• Adaptive and flexible in a quick-changing, fast-growth environment, able to shift gears quickly and multi-task effectively under tight deadlines
• Willingness to pitch in and help at all levels of the organization, with a solutions-oriented, can-do mindset
• Experience in operations, food & beverage and/or consumer packaged goods preferred