Home Chef is looking for a National Warehousing Excellence Manager for its Supply Chain team at its corporate headquarters in Chicago.
The position would report to the Director of Non-Food Supply Chain.
Home Chef (www.homechef.com) is a meal kit e-commerce and delivery start-up founded in 2013 by Pat Vihtelic, formerly with William Blair. Pat launched Home Chef, because he found it hard to make time to prepare home cooked dinners after work. He discovered that online grocery services only solved part of the problem — he still had to think about what was for dinner, and didn’t have time to comb the internet for recipes. More often than not, he was overwhelmed by the prospect of meal planning, and resorted to takeout.
Home Chef’s mission is to provide our customers with a delightful home cooking experience. We believe that people continue to love Home Chef for the same reasons it was founded: Home Chef saves time, reduces food waste, and most importantly, brings people together around the dinner table.
At Home Chef, we believe that team members who are personally invested in their work deliver the best possible customer experience – our customers can tell that we love what we do. That’s why we empower our crew to take ownership of their disciplines. We collectively believe in our product, and we care greatly about how we, as individuals, can contribute to company growth. We hire the best of the best, we work hard, we have fun, and we’re inspired by our community of home chefs every day.
• Successfully attracted strong investment from a renown Private Equity Firm and private investors alike
• 800+ employees across production, marketing, technology, product, design, and customer service, and quickly growing
• Delivered over 1 million meals by 2015, growing 25x that year alone, and delivering over 10 million meals in 2016
• Covers 98% of the continental US, with plants in San Bernardino, CA, Lithonia, GA and Chicago, IL
Passion-led, fast-growing organization with a mix of talent from ex-McKinsey/Bain/BCG, other consultancies and experienced industry professionals
• Own warehousing processes and performance KPIs
• Manage site warehouse managers (dotted line)
• Develop and improve warehouse processes and implement best practices across sites
• Improve warehouse layouts, standardize warehouse equipment, define safety standards
• Work with CI team to improve flow of material between warehouse and production floor and back
• Responsible for KPIs for warehousing at all sites e.g., productivity, accuracy, visibility
• Develop and document IT system requirements for warehouse processes including receiving, putaway, pick for production, cycle counting, restocking
• Work with national facility director to source capital equipment, racks, rolling stock and facility upgrades required
• Own responsibility for testing and rolling out IT system and automation solutions
• Design and optimize JIT flow of material between offsite storage and production facilities
• Source and set up additional warehousing as required by growth plans
• Design and manage yard operations processes and dock management processes
• Implement IT system roadmap for Warehouse Management System (WMS) and Transportation Management System (TMS) working with the Operations Technology team
Skill set and experience
• Strong organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills
• Strong strategic thinker and problem solver
• Ability to structure a problem, prioritize and financially evaluate alternatives
• Conceptual thinking and ability to get ideas from other industries or functional areas and apply to the warehouse context
• Exceptional people manager
• Exceptional communicator, coordinating fluidly across plant, supplier and team
• Degree in supply chain management is desirable
• Expertise in warehousing and transportation management (5-10 yrs)
• Experience managing or being on a team implementing Warehouse Management Systems
• Experience designing and optimizing warehouse processes at a food or consumer goods company is desirable
• Experience in configuring extending material masters to WMS functions; batch management in warehouse; shelf life functionality; warehouse movements; transfer requirements; transfer orders; goods receipts with inbound delivery; goods issues with outbound deliveries; picking, packing and handling unit(s), stock replenishment, fixed bin replenishment, picking strategies ( e.g. LIFO, FIFO, SLED
• Role would require 30% travel to Home Chef Sites