Home Chef (www.homechef.com) is a Chicago-based e-commerce food startup that aims
to make cooking well at home easier and healthier by delivering fresh ingredients and step-by-step
recipe cards every week directly to your doorstep. Variety. Flexibility. Simplicity.
Fresh Ingredients. Perfectly Portioned. Recipe Cards. We believe that people continue to love Home Chef for the same reasons it was founded: Home Chef saves time, reduces food waste, and most importantly, brings people together around the dinner table.
Our 2013 start-up has experienced amazing growth delivering over 10 million boxes in 2016, with comparably aggressive growth targets over the next few years. The company is well-funded having closed its most recent investment (Series B round) from a prominent global consumer products venture capital firm. Home Chef is scaling its operations massively to support hyper-growing consumer demand and currently has over 700 employees across six US locations.
At Home Chef, we believe that team members who are personally invested in their work deliver the best possible customer experience – our customers can tell that we love what we do. That’s why we empower our crew to take ownership of their disciplines. We collectively believe in our product, and we care greatly about how we, as individuals, can contribute to company growth. We hire the best of the best, we work hard, we have fun, and we’re inspired by our community of home chefs every day.
• #3 player in the meal kit industry, delivering over 10 million meals in 2016 with staggering growth of 25x in 2015 and 10x in 2016
• Delivery to 98% of the continental US within two days, with production sites in San Bernardino, CA, Lithonia, GA and Chicago, IL
• 700+ corporate employees across production, marketing, technology, product, design, and customer service, and quickly growing
• Passion-led, fast-growing organization with a mix of talent from ex-McKinsey/Bain/BCG, other consultancies and experienced industry professionals
We are looking for an exceptional and inspirational leader to take our sourcing strategy for all food categories to the next level at Home Chef. The right candidate will have the drive to put his/her mark on Home Chef sourcing strategy and lay out best-in-class sourcing approaches to deliver savings while improving customer experience in a fast-paced e-commerce environment. The Director of Supply Chain and Procurement for all Food categories reports directly to Home Chef’s Chief Operating Officer (COO) and is based in Chicago.
This is a unique opportunity to grow and build a team of 25-30 over the next 18-24 months, while framing the strategic vision for customer experience and supply chain.
We invest heavily in our people at Home Chef, and we are looking for leaders who are effective and efficient managers, but also role models and mentors.
• Take a hands-on leadership role in both strategic procurement and day-to-day tactical purchasing operations for all food categories (meat, seafood, dairy, produce, dry, frozen) – in this rapidly scaling, high-growth organization.
• Develop and execute against strategic category plans to maintain robust procurement while simultaneously driving savings and ensuring food safety in hyper-growth environment.
• Be accountable for financial targets and drive savings across total cost of ownership for all food categories to deliver against aggressive targets.
• Expertly manage the operational challenge of offering ~1200 ingredients, with 100-120 food products sourced each week to deliver the variety and innovation that our customers value.
• Plan, organize and direct all procurement activities at current – Chicago, Los Angeles area,
Atlanta area – and anticipated future production/fulfillment sites.
• Deliver 100% food product availability to production sites within tight inventory constraints
• Develop and maintain best-in-class procurement standard work/best practices to deliver on KPIs
while partnering across functions to achieve results.
• Manage network of 150 (and growing) suppliers across multiple fulfillment locations while
building world-class supplier development, qualification and support systems, delivering
improved total cost of ownership, supplier reliability and capacity, and food safety.
• Lead and inspire a team of 12-15 highly-motivated and engaged procurement professionals, expanding to 25-30 over the next 18-24 months
• Drive product improvements with culinary and production teams to reduce lead times, rationalize product specs and improve efficiency
• Work seamlessly across multiple functions within the organization, from plant production and quality assurance to corporate finance and marketing teams
• You are an amazing leader who creates energy, lives integrity, leads change, creates a vision, inspires people to achieve goals, in a fast-paced, high-urgency Customer-First environment.
• You are highly entrepreneurial and have demonstrated the hands-on ability to recruit, build, develop and lead high-performance teams; set high standards; achieve outstanding results (2-3 years of leadership experience managing teams of 10+).
• You are a strategic thinker who can envision the future state of procurement and drive daily activities to build that future state procurement organization.
• You have a proven track record of working and communicating cross-functionally to develop and
maintain strong collaborative relationships across operations and the company broadly.
• You have outstanding interpersonal and communications skills.
• You have 7-10 years of progressively more responsible procurement experience in high-growth CPG company, or 3-5 years relevant experience in top-tier food industry consulting firm.
• Moderate travel required, particularly as the company scales operations and expands its supplier base across the US. The position is primarily based in Chicago, IL.
• Attractive compensation package includes pre-IPO equity incentive.