The Director of Manufacturing will be responsible for production operations at the Empowerment Plan. This role will oversee, plan, direct, and coordinate all areas of manufacturing operations which consists of:
Sewing Machine Operators
A Production Manager and Specialist
An Operations Manager
A Material Handling and Logistics Manager
The Director is responsible for helping establish key performance indicators and ensuring the manufacturing team achieves these metrics, along with on-time delivery, and contribution margins through optimized material, labor, and overhead cost management. The position will be responsible for planned growth in the manufacturing function that is estimated to triple output by the end of 2017.
As a member of the leadership team, our Director of Manufacturing must have the technical and communication skills to manage a diverse workforce.
This position requires someone with proven leadership abilities, strong communication skills, manufacturing management experience in an apparel operations, and a passion for the mission of the organization.
The Empowerment Plan is a Detroit-based nonprofit business dedicated to serving the homeless community through employment opportunities and manufacturing of innovative, durable outdoor wear which is distributed to the homeless. The organization was established in 2012 by Veronika Scott, a graduate from the College for Creative Studies in Detroit. In response to a class project, Scott designed a sleeping bag coat to address the 1-in-42 Detroit residents who are homeless and have to survive the frigid Michigan winter each year. Her initial idea has evolved into something much greater.
The Empowerment Plan offers real, full-time employment so that each individual can gain financial independence while acquiring skills on the job. We provide financial literacy training, team-building, communication workshops, and educational support to help our employees succeed personally and professionally. The MPWR coat has provided warmth to nearly 15,000 homeless individuals across the nation.
The Empowerment Plan story has been told all over the world and shared at events such as the Forbes 400 Philanthropy Summit with Oprah, Melinda Gates, and Warren Buffett.
For more information about The Empowerment Plan, please refer to: www.empowermentplan.org
- BS/BA in Engineering, Business Administration with an operations concentration, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years managing manufacturing facilities - experience with apparel is a plus
- Lean process standardization and continuous improvement experience
- Strong coaching skills and proven ability to help a team achieve growth goals
- Excellent communications (verbal, written and listening), diplomacy, discretion and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to interact and engage with diverse groups of individuals and organizations
- Able to work independently with high efficiency and outstanding problem solving skills
- Computer skills and literacy including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Project) as well as Google applications
- Interest in and passion for the mission of The Empowerment Plan
Applications accepted at https://asi.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=15