Home Chef (www.homechef.com) is a Chicago-based e-commerce food startup that aims
to make cooking well at home easier and healthier by delivering fresh ingredients and step-by-step
recipe cards every week directly to your doorstep. Variety. Flexibility. Simplicity.
Fresh Ingredients. Perfectly Portioned. Recipe Cards. We believe that people continue to love Home Chef for the same reasons it was founded: Home Chef saves time, reduces food waste, and most importantly, brings people together around the dinner table.
Our 2013 start-up has experienced amazing growth delivering over 10 million boxes in 2016, with comparably aggressive growth targets over the next few years. The company is well-funded having closed its most recent investment (Series B round) from a prominent global consumer products venture capital firm. Home Chef is scaling its operations massively to support hyper-growing consumer demand and currently has over 700 employees across six US locations.
At Home Chef, we believe that team members who are personally invested in their work deliver the best possible customer experience – our customers can tell that we love what we do. That’s why we empower our crew to take ownership of their disciplines. We collectively believe in our product, and we care greatly about how we, as individuals, can contribute to company growth. We hire the best of the best, we work hard, we have fun, and we’re inspired by our community of home chefs every day.
• #3 player in the meal kit industry, delivering over 10 million meals in 2016 with staggering growth of 25x in 2015 and 10x in 2016
• Delivery to 98% of the continental US within two days, with production sites in San Bernardino, CA, Lithonia, GA and Chicago, IL
• 700+ corporate employees across production, marketing, technology, product, design, and customer service, and quickly growing
• Passion-led, fast-growing organization with a mix of talent from ex-McKinsey/Bain/BCG, other consultancies and experienced industry professionals
We are looking for an exceptional and inspirational leader to lead all four of our production facilities and to transform our Home Chef’s capabilities into a best-in-class production system. This role will be an opportunity to create a nimble, lean, impact-driven production and warehousing system across 1000 employees at the plants, in an industry where a high operational complexity delivers the incredible flexibility for our customers (each week: ~150 fresh ingredients, nearly 100% perishable inventory turnover, 2000+ product combinations, 2-6 day lead time from customer order deadline to product ship). The right candidate will jump at the opportunity to engineer a new way of operating in an industry where best-in-class is yet to be defined – for the #3 player. The Director of Fulfillment reports directly to Home Chef’s Chief Operating Officer (COO) and is based in Chicago, with significant travel to our production facilities in the Atlanta metro and Los Angeles metro areas.
We invest heavily in our people at Home Chef, and we are looking for leaders who are effective and efficient managers, but also role models and mentors.
• Plan, organize and direct all operations activities at current – Chicago, Los Angeles metro, Atlanta metro – and anticipated future production/fulfillment sites.
• Take hands-on leadership role in day-to-day tactical operations – from labelling and ingredient portioning, to light assembly manufacturing (assemble meals and boxes) and customer order fulfillment – in this rapidly scaling, high-growth organization.
• Develop and maintain repeatable standard work/best practices (Lean Ops & OpEx) while supporting dramatic (approx. 5% weekly) growth, identifying Lean improvement opportunities (systems, policies, procedures), and partnering across functions to achieve results.
• Lead productivity efforts across company’s supply base to deliver year-over-year improvement in total cost of ownership, delivering on critical capacity and capability, quality, technical and commercial requirements, while assuring support for mass scalability.
• Achieve and be accountable to aggressive operating objectives for systemic improvement in cost, quality, new product development and introduction, safety, and delivery.
• Co-develop and implement new manufacturing technologies and capital plans (budgets, capacity, capability) related to production improvement and expansion, with the Operations Excellence team.
• Implement strategy, principles and practices to ensure team and food production safety, as well as compliance with all regulatory (federal, state, local) laws, working closely with Food Safety & Employee Wellness teams.
• You are an amazing leader who creates energy, lives integrity, leads change, creates a vision, inspires people to achieve goals, in a fast-paced, high-urgency Customer-First environment.
• You are highly entrepreneurial and have demonstrated the hands-on ability to recruit, build, develop and lead high-performance teams; set high standards; achieve outstanding results (1-2 years in a start-up or e-commerce environment preferred)
• You have demonstrated success in running production operations in a multi-plant environment, ideally with a start-up company or one experiencing significant, rapid year-over-year growth, with demanding customers and crushing deadlines (3-5 years of experience managing plants with over 300 FTE preferred)
• You have outstanding interpersonal and communications skills, with a strong emphasis on building teams through coaching and mentorship.
• You have demonstrated your ability to own and improve challenging KPIs and drive the formation of a company-wide Lean culture.
• You have experience working in USDA or food-related industry (1-2 years in food & beverage production preferred)
• Attractive compensation package includes pre-IPO equity incentive.